Starting in Spring 2019, the AYL Boys program will be implementing a new strategy to matriculate new players and advance those who have played in the past. Teaching our players the important individual and team skills of lacrosse is paramount at all ages. However, at the K-2 grade levels not every player is ready to play full organized lacrosse. Our goal is to provide an opportunity for players to focus on developing the core passing, catching and throwing skills in their first years in an effort to better prepare them for a more competitive level in subsequent years. Going forward we are offering the following two tiers outlined below.
This team is for boys new to playing lacrosse or continuing to develop core skills. The focus is on skill development, team play, and basic lacrosse knowledge. The team will practice once a week for 90 minutes, and several games will be organized against neighboring towns. Full-equipment is required. Each new player receives an AYL reversible pinnie.
This team is for boys who have played in prior seasons and are eligible to play based on evaluations outlined below. The team will practice twice a week for 90 minutes, and will have 6-8 official Mass Bay Youth Lacrosse League (MBYLL) games on Sundays against area towns. Full-equipment is required. Each player receives an AYL uniform that must be returned at the end of the season.
Guidelines for how the teams will be organized are as follows:
- All K boys will play on the First-Year team(s)
- New to lacrosse 1st Grade boys will play on the First-Year team(s)
- Returning 1st Grade boys have the option to play on the First-Year team(s), or to be evaluated to play on the Second-Year (travel) team(s)
- New to lacrosse 2nd Grade boys will play on the Second-Year (travel) team(s), but have the option to play on the First-Year team(s) upon request
- Returning 2nd Grade Boys will play on the Second-Year (travel) team(s)
Participation in the Second-Year team will be based on the number of players/teams, coach evaluations during the preseason/indoor sessions, and any adjustments needed in first few weeks of the regular season.
Our goal is to provide a safe, fun, and positive youth sports experience. We look forward to another exciting lacrosse season ahead!